Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) refers to the technology of making and receiving phone calls via the internet. Most individuals view VoIP as an alternative to their local telephone provider. If you have heard of an IP address, you are familiar with your Internet Protocol address. IP addresses enable computers and devices to communicate over the internet.
VoIP is not really novel. Since the late 1990s, telephony has relied on digital lines to transmit phone calls. VoIP is a cost-effective method for managing an unlimited number of phone calls. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is an established technology that enables anyone to make phone calls over the internet. With the proliferation of broadband, VoIP has become the preferred phone service option for consumers and enterprises. People prefer VoIP phone service to conventional phone lines. It offers far more features than analogue phones. And it does it for less than half the price.
Cloud phone service companies offer services that are not available with traditional phone service. Auto attendants, call recording, caller ID customization, voicemail to email, and so much more are available. Additionally, you can take calls and operate from any location. If you have internet access, you can call anyone without needing local phone service. VoIP solutions are compatible with any computer because they are based on decades of open standards.
VoIP service companies give more than just call establishment. They provide call routing over existing telephone networks for both outgoing and incoming calls. The Public Switched Telephone Network supports landlines and mobile phones (PSTN). Traditional telephones transmit voice signals over analogue lines. To make phone calls, additional wiring must be installed.
Many businesses rely on specialised telephone equipment. This apparatus is referred to as a Private Branch Exchange (PBX). It links internal extensions to the public telephone network. PBXs are typically expensive to install and maintain.
How does VoIP work?
- Voice over IP employs Internet Protocol, a fundamental component of the internet. IP telephony is a radical departure from the century-old telephone system.
- Small data packets are used to transmit telephone conversations. In less than one second, the internet can deliver these data packets throughout the globe. These packets pass between your phone and a VoIP provider for internet telephony.
- A VoIP phone system enables calls between phones or to a different telephone company. It offers additional important features such as voicemail, call forwarding, call recording, and more.
This is how VoIP functions:
- Your phone connects to your Local Area Network’s switch or router (LAN).
- When you dial a number, your IP phone instructs your VoIP service provider to make the call.
- Your VoIP provider initiates the call and exchanges data packets with the IP phone.
- Your VoIP phone transforms these digital signals back into audible sound.
Voice over Internet Protocol completely circumvents the telephone company. VoIP can be used anywhere a broadband Internet connection is available. A big improvement over an analogue phone system. In the past, VoIP required the use of pricey, proprietary equipment, but that was almost 20 years ago. Currently, VoIP is based on open standards including Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). SIP enables total compatibility between various desk phones, conference phones, and VoIP applications.
PBXs hosted in the cloud are responsible for voicemail, conferencing, and call routing. Consider that they function as their own full-service telephone company that you control. All you need is a high-speed Internet connection (cable, DSL, or fibre) to take advantage of VoIP.
VoIP is simple to install and utilise for personal and commercial calls. As long as your internet connection is active, you can make calls over the internet. Regarding setup, you are not required to do anything technical. You can utilise VoIP if you can connect a power cord to the wall and a network wire to your phone. Follow this instruction to set up the phone service for your business. Using your VoIP phone service on your iOS or Android is now even simpler. After downloading a free VoIP programme and logging in, you are ready to begin VoIP calls.